For the crust
· 1 cup flour
· 6 tbsp cold butter
· 3 to 4 tbsp ice cold water
· 1⁄4 tsp salt
· 1 tsp sugar
For the filling
· 11/2 cups Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
· 1⁄2 tsp orange zest
· 1⁄4 cup New Leaf Maple Walnut Syrup
· 1⁄2 tbsp corn starch
· 2 tbsp almond flour
· 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice
1) Preheat the oven for 400 F
1) Cut the butter into 1⁄2 Inch cubes.
2) Add the flour, salt, sugar, cold butter to a food processor and pulse in for seconds at a time until the butter is incorporated and they resemble a coarse meal.
3) Now add ice cold water 1 tbsp at a time as needed and work the dough until they come together. Don’t overwork the dough as you don’t want the butter to start melting.
4) Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough. The dough should be about 1/8th inch in thickness.
5) Put the rolled dough in the refrigerator for about 40 minutes to an hour.
1) Mix the blueberries, orange zest, maple walnut syrup, corn starch, 1 tbsp almond flour/ meal.
1) Take the reserve 1 tbsp of almond meal and sprinkle it on the rolled dough.
2) Add the blueberry maple filling in the middle of the dough (on top of the almond flour layer) leaving about an inch of the dough uncovered in the edges of the dough.
3) Now take the edges of the dough and fold them inwards.
4) Do an egg wash over the edges of the dough to get them to become nice and golden (Alternatively, you can also brush it with some milk)
5) Sprinkle some granulated sugar on the dough.
6) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the crust looks golden and flaky and the insides of the filling looks bubbly.
7) Remove, let it cool and serve with some ice cream.